Saturday 1 October 2011

Oktoberfest

I got to join a friend at an Oktoberfest party last night, and had a wonderful time!
I thought I would enter into the spirit of things by dressing up, and managed to cobble this together in a week. The blouse is from Primark, it's a gypsy style top with smocking round the neckline and was reduced to £5! The corset top thing dates back to the 90s, when suck a thing was still fashionable - I'm very pleased I'm such a hoarder!
I made the skirt and the apron this week - trhe apron was a very simple make - just 1m of gingham cotton gathered onto 2m ribbon and hemmed all the way round.
The skirt, however, was something of a challenge. I bought too little fabric the first time I went to the shop and ended up getting the rest on Thursday evening.
I was intending to make a gathered skirt like Gertie's and bought some raw silk with a taffeta like textureso that it would stand out nicely. Sadly, as I ran out of time, the gathers turned into box pleats, the invisible zip turned into a barely held together set of plastic and cotton threads. I won't tell you what the insides look like...Still, it held up to an evening's drinking, and a rendition of the Macerena.
We had entertainment in the form of an accordian playing, joke telling Bavarian. We had lots of sing alongs, songs with silly actions and clash clashing with our neigbours. There was beer.
And more beer.
And sausages!



4 comments:

  1. Looking lovely for a "cobbeled together" outfit, me dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great time... lovely outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this looks like tons of fun, love your outfit! Love the beer part too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that looks like such fun and you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete