Monday 6 December 2010

Crafting like mad

I've been so busy making things for Christmas this last week, I've barely had time to do anything else!
This is just a quick post, mainly to say thank you to some lovely people and to show you some of what I've been doing, before I get my head back down and sew.

Firstly, Jen's 10pm Cookbook has arrived! It's every bit as wonderful as I thought it would be. What shall I make first? Sherried Livers? Crunchy Prune Cream? Frankwiches? The world is my Oyster.
I am having a few friends over for a pre-Christmas dinner and I think they'll be the perfect audience to try one of the fabulous recipes out.

Secondly, The Vintage Knitter has given me an award! I love her blog too - go and see her...
Thank you!
Thirdly came Land Girl 1980 tagging me for one of these interview thingamies. As soon as I get a chance I'll be posting that up.
So thanks to all of those lovely ladies, and to all of you who read and comment on a regular basis - it does feel nice to know that you're interested in what I have to say and I am planning a reward very shortly (it's not bribery, it's a giveaway. Honest).

So I know you're all desperate to see what I've been up to.
I've finished my Secret Santa cross stitch (good job as the party is on Wednesday!) and framed it tonight. I'm very happy with the way it's turned out and I hope that the recipient will be pleased with it.
It only took me about 2-3 hours to do and the only cost to me was the frame, as I had all of the cross stitch bits beforehand.
I've also sewn the patchwork pieces together for the quilt I'm making and will be assembling and quilting the whole thing this week I'll post pics when it's all done. Finally I've cut out my pieces for a bag I'm making my mother in law. She runs kids clubs and is always carrying loads of stuff around with her, so I thought I couldn't go wrong with a new bag! I'm using the pattern from 'Quilt Yourself Gorgeous' and it seems to be going ok so far!

I also spent Saturday at a 'Homemade Christmas' workshop. We made loads of bits and pieces, but the main focus was on wrapping presents. The pictures below are the various bits I made - if anyone would like to know how any of these were made (they're mostly pretty self explanatory) just let me know and I'll do a quick guide! The workshop was excellent and I learnt quite a lot of basic skills which I'll be able to use on lots of other crafty things. I must say that learning how to wrap a box properly is probably worth the cost of the course all on its own!
This wreath was made for the kitchen using a bridal hoop and then decorated with bunches of thyme and bay leaves, and pouches of mulling spices.
Another kitchen decoration with dried fruit and a chilli!
Wrapping a box and a bottle (useful skills!).
Spare gift wrapping - soap.
Gift bags for the tree. One is a fabric covered toilet roll inner and the other a cone made from wallpaper.

I also managed to fit an evening out into my weekend - I know, I'm a mad party animal!
This was a 1940s dance at Bristol Temple Meads and was a very fun night out. I didn't do any dancing but the band, the University of Bristol Hornstars, were excellent.
I wore my green Butterick dress because, although it's not a wartime era dress, I hadn't planned well enough to have anything else to wear! I think it'll be making another appearance next week at my husband's work do, which is black tie. I don't think I have anything else black tie appropriate!

4 comments:

  1. You had a busy week as a bee ..... and still had time to party! Incredible! I would be lying on the couch with a hot water bottle on my head ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab blog, once I got past the sherried livers *shudder*

    Have you a full length picture of the dress?

    I feel a bit guilty now for doing absolutely nothing for most of my weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that dance looked like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the vintage cookbook- I collect them (oldest is 104, newest of my 'vintage' ones mid-80s). My favourites are 'international' ones with a lot of raffia connoting the Med and shiny plastic garlic pictures connoting 'France'! ;)

    ReplyDelete