Thursday 9 December 2010

Q&A

Lovely LandGirl1980 set me an interview/Q&A thingamy a couple of weeks back and I've finally managed to find the time to write something!

1. Why did you create the blog?
I'd been reading several blogs about vintage clothes and crafting for a little while over the summer and began to think about starting one myself. I thought it'd be good to have someone other than my husband to share my creations and my purchases with. Then I had a friend suggest I start a blog cataloguing my daily outfits and so I created Tea and Crumpets. I haven't managed to post that many outfits, but I have enjoyed sharing what I get up to with everyone and I love reading your comments!

2. What kind of blogs do you follow?
Most of the blogs I read are vintage fashion or sewing oriented. I also have a couple on my regular read list which are about ME/CFS, interesting news stories and general lifestyles.
I like to read about things I'm intersted in, obviously, but I also read several blogs just because the writing is so good. I like to read rants and educational posts and usually I'm not concerned about the topics!

3. Favourite makeup brand?
I'm going to have to be a snob and say MAC. I've used lots of different brands over the years and was always a fan or Revlon, but I've found MAC beats all others hands down. Partly, it's the choice of foundation tones which I like. My skin is a funny combination of yellow tones and snow white, and usually the yellow toned makeups are for olive skinned Mediterranean people, and make me look like I've been tangoed. So, that, the quality of the finish and lasting effects and the expertise when you buy keep me coming back, despite the price!

4. Favourite clothing brand?
Before I started blogging, I would have said that I didn't have one. Since I've been logging my purchases and wardrobe more regularly in this blog, I've realised that half of my clothes and shoes come from Marks and Spencer, or Clarks.
I don't pay much attention to the big designers or to most of the high street. If I'm shopping new I'll usually look in Marks, Zara and maybe a department store and that's about it. The rest of the clothes I buy are either from charity shops or etsy and ebay nowadays.

 5. Your indispensable makeup product?
Probably Carmex. My lips get very dry and cracked during the winter, so keeping them soft is top of my priorities. Carmex does the best job of keeping my lips soft and I always have a pot nearby.

I'm also very keen on my MAC foundation to even out my dark rings around my eyes and my Neals Yard Remedies Wild Rose Beauty Balm, which acts as cleanser and moisturiser.

6. Your favourite colour?
Tricky one. My favourite colours seem to change on a regular basis. I think I'm going for green and red at the moment. This may have something to do with the season. I do like colour, though, and I'm not afraid to wear bold colours or more than one colour at a time. I think I'm still detoxing from my Gothic period.



7. Your perfume?
It's a cliché, but Chanel No. 5.

I used to wear Anais Anaise a lot, but became concerned about the chemicals and gave it up several years ago.
Then, when I got married last year my something borrowed was my Nan's No. 5. She let me keep it after the wedding and wearing it reminds me of that day, and of her. I spent much of my childhood with my Nan and Grandad, as my Mum worked, so we've always been close. The smell of No. 5 makes me think of her in her 60s and 70s, getting ready to go out. She was always immaculately turned out with lipstick, face powder, perfume and pearls even when taking my brother and me to the park.

8. Your favourite film?
Another tricky one. I love The Princess Bride. It never fails to amuse and entertain me even when watching it for the 39th time.
I've also been feating on a whole range of classic films of late which I've come to love; One of our aircraft is missing (less than snappy title, awesome film), It happened one night, Shall we dance (worth it for the roller-skate dance scene alone), A Canterbury Tale (excellent depiction of Britain at war, shot in the middle of it!).
An in no particular order, other films which I'll probably always enjoy; A Life Less Ordinary, LOTR trilogy, The Omen, Godzilla (1954), Interview with the Vampire, Nosforatu (1922)... There are plenty more but that will do for now!

9. What country would you like to visit and why?
Gosh, I'm more indecisive than I'd thought. I haven't travelled a lot, I've only been as far abroad as France and Belgium and to the Republic of Ireland and I'd love to see more of the world.
I don't much like hot countries - I prefer dramatic scenery and old places to beaches and terrace cafes.
Iceland is towards the top of my list because of the above. I find the history of Iceland very interesting and, while I'm not sure what there is to do and see beyond the Þingvellir, volcanoes, snowy things and fishing ports, it's always appealed to me.
New Zealand is also on my 'to see' list. Again, the dramatic scenery and history (I wrote my dissertation on the medical techniques of the Maori people) are the main draws, but their liberal politics and general 'hippy' tendencies appeal. Plus I've been told it's much like England was 50 years ago in terms of community feeling and crime and the like, which sounds lovely - all the good bits of the past with all the mod cons of today!
I have wanted to see Japan for a long while, although as lovely as some of it sounds, certain aspects of the culture that friends who've lived there tell me about put me off a bit. So short visit only I think.
America is another country that interests me, each different region having its own appeal. Mainly, I'd like to see places I know from TV and films; New York, the Florida quays, Louisiana, New England, Washington. I think each has its own character but I have a feeling I wouldn't enjoy America for very long. I have no basis for this statement though and am prepared to be proven wrong! My husband spent some time in California as a teenager and remembers it fondly (though this may have something to do with the draw of local girls to his accent) so I expect we'll be seeing some of the states in the future.
Canada interest me far more. Again, a country of different characters and dramatic scenery. Nova Scotia and the Rockies particularly interest me.
Then, more practically, there are most of the countries in Northern Europe; Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland... the list is long and I would like to think it's achievable over the next few years.
So, to answer the question I guess the answer is anywhere with snow and mountains...

10. To be chosen by blogger.
After the travel essay I think I should keep this brief.
What do you want to be when you grow up?
This is a question that's on my mind a lot at the moment. I long for a job that I look forwards to going to, and that doesn't keep me awake on Sunday nights for stress and worry.
Right now, I'm sold on the idea of opening a haberdasher/drapery and running my own business. There are lots of problems with this, the first and main one being start up capital, but It's something I'm planning and investigating and thinking through properly, so it may still happen!
If I had the time/energy, I'd probably retrain and become a historian or archaeologist focusing on the early middle ages, or possibly an events organiser. Wedding planner would be up there too.
That and housewife. My impractical dream job...unless I win the lottery!

Pass on the baton - I'll keep this short and sweet;
Canadian Twenty Something

Miss Magpie Musings
Welsh Pixie

7 comments:

  1. Fab answers! LOVED reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    Please do share your lipstick knowledge with me! I am like you, very pale yet warm toned with yellow undertones. I have not yet found a red lipstick that looks right on me. Can you help?! You always look lovely in your photos :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S The last time I tried out a yellow toned foundation, I looked like I had jaundice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, The Princess Bride is one of my faves too! And I highly recommend New Zealand, I lived there for a year just as Lord of the Rings was first coming out and loved it. It's very very similar to Wales.

    I shall get on to my answers, thanks for nominating ne, however they may be delayed as I currently only have the use of one hand :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. LandGirl - thanks for tagging me, I enjoyed answering the questions.

    Miss Meiow - Thanks for the compliment! It took me a while to find a shade, but I wear MAC Russian Red. It's a slightly dark red with blueish tones. It suits me much better than Ruby Woo which is a slightly more orange shade. I really do recommend getting down to a MAC counter and getting an expert to sort you out though! I have total faith in them!

    Toria - Hope your hand gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I used to work in the House of Fraser Haberdashery in Bristol before it closed down, and when they closed it I kept fantasizing about setting one up to fill the gap in the market, and making it way better! I loved it, chatting to all the old ladies and helping people with their projects... It was a bit of a rubbish haberdashery though, tucked away in a dusty corner and with no fabric. I dreamed of making it pretty and having lovely stock and books and craft workshops, maybe a tea shop attached (sigh...) If you ever need a haberdashery partner in crime then count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that section, it was always really dark and quiet down there. It was rubbish, but it was very handy! I couldn't believe they closed it down. The John Lewis moved their haberdashers and halved the size...*sigh* It's not like the old days! I'll let you know if I ever get round to opening my own place and you can come and help. I like the tea room idea!

    ReplyDelete