Tuesday 8 March 2011

Confessions of a shopaholic

Anyone who's been reading my blog for more than a week will probably have clocked that I like to shop.
My New Years resolutions have gone un-reviewed so far because I have spectacularly failed to stick to the most important one - my resolution not to spend so much.

I love the Sophie Kinsella shopaholic books but feel a bit sick when I read them because they resonate too closely with my own thoughts. It's worrying and more that a little shameful.

I hope, then, that you can appreciate it is not without significance when I say that I am going to take part in the Midnight Maniac challenge - DO WITHOUT!

I am signing up to go without spending money on myself or luxuries for the house (i.e. I can buy washing up liquid but not cushions) for 40 days.

I may be mad, I may not even manage it, but I'm going to try. I feel like going cold turkey may be my only option at this point. I will be spending money on my Mum, as it's her Birthday next week, but I'm going to hold off spending on myself, even on my Birthday at the start of April.

I will make an exception for necessary notions for sewing projects I have on the go - it'd be silly not to make a skirt because I can't buy the zip I need, but I think that's my only get out. No browsing the fabrics while I'm looking for zips either! I must be strong!

I'll try to get at least one blog in a week charting how well I'm doing and whether I'm about to go on a mad Etsy rampage.

Wish me luck!

13 comments:

  1. I have similar feeling when I read those books. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did something similar. I am giving up Ebay for Lent. I can browse and watch auctions, but I cannot purchase anything until after Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I'm too bad with shopping personally...but I am sure I'm a terrible hoarder. I simply must replenish my local charity shops soon. :( Rather than giving up something for lent, I really need to give AWAY some stuff to a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck :) I am planning on something similar - but considering "lent" has already begun and I have not decided what to do - I don't hold out much hope for it to work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I'm sure you'll manage just fine! I had a similar feeling past fall, and decided to change my spending habits. In the beginning it was a bit hard, but then I changed how I thought about buying and it became easy to resist. Nowadays I always ask: Do I really love it? ("like" doesn't count). Do I have room for it? If it cost 20 euros more, would I still buy it?
    I still sometimes go crazy while shopping, but nowadays at least I come home with only things I'm still happy about 6 months later.

    Good luck with the Do without! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a brave lady, what a great idea! I really need to do something like this myself really - especially regarding clothes, fabric and pattern shopping! I'm just not sure I'm ready to go cold turkey yet...even for just 40 days. You've inspired me to try though ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't really comment, as you know from the blog I have failed dismally! Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am giving up shopping for lent!! We are allowed to buy food and cleaning products but nothing else. I will be blogging my progress as well. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I just made that promise to myself for two months and three weeks, today I failed miserably! LOL. Good luck, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just think how you can reward yourself at the end of it!! Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I'll try to get at least one blog in a week charting how well I'm doing and whether I'm about to go on a mad Etsy rampage."

    Heavens to Betsy! Let's hope that doesn't happen, but I know the feeling. I'm a bit of a shopaholic myself and also a fan of the series. I did some last minute thrifting to get my shopping fix. My plan is to just stay out of the stores and off Etsy. That's the plan anyway... we'll see how it goes.

    If you need shop-free moral support I'm here for ya!

    BTW, the first "Do Without" linky is up. Come add your post! http://midnightmaniac.com/post3097

    Good luck!
    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with this - I'd be interested to hear how you get on (vicarious virtue - LOL!).

    ReplyDelete